Everything you need to know about PFC Equipment and how it can benefit your business
How does Power Factor Correction Equipment work?
Instead of your electricity becoming reactive/being wasted, PFC equipment uses capacitors to store the excess energy for you.
You can think of capacitors like batteries that store power. But these are special batteries that charge very quickly. They absorb and store the excess power and then release it back into the system at the rate your machines need it. This way nothing is ever wasted again.
Another way to picture this is like an over-spill tank for water. So instead of your water/electricity overflowing and being wasted, the over-spill tank stores the water so it can be used later. This is what our Power Factor Correction Equipment will do with your electricity supply.
What are the BENEFITS of Power Factor Correction?
1. The savings you will make
- Save up to 25% on your 3 Phase commercial electricity bills
- Save at least 10% on your monthly diesel fuel generator expenses
- Stop Low Power Factor and Reactive Energy Surcharges
- Continue to control costs and make savings for years to come
2. Increase your capacity/Reduce Energy Consumption
- Reduce Availability & Capacity Charges on Energy Bills
- Reduce Maximum Demand based Charges on Energy Bills
3. Reduce damage to your equipment and plant
- OPP equipment will extend the working life and reduce maintenance of pumps, air-conditioning plants, fridges, chillers and lighting rigs.
- OPP also reduces damage/wear to power cables, switch-gear and supply transformers.
4. The environmental benefits of power factor correction
- Reduce your carbon emissions and make your business cleaner and greener.
Who uses Power Factor Correction equipment?
You’ll find our equipment in steel production, tobacco processing, farm facilities, fisheries, abattoirs, dairies, food processing, cold room storage and even flower wholesalers.
Any African business that has a 3 Phase electricity supply can benefit from OPP Power Factor Correction equipment, AKA Reactive Power Compensation Equipment.
How much will I save?
1. NO MORE Low Power Factor Surcharges or Reactive Energy Charges.
2. SAVING up to 25% on all future electricity bills.
3. And if you use diesel generators, you’ll also be making BIG SAVINGS on the ever increasing costs of diesel fuel.
Our Power Factor Correction calculators will estimate the savings for you.
Savings Calculator – Click Here
Can I buy OPP PFC equipment off the shelf?
Every power factor issue is different.
Our solutions are custom built to meet your individual requirements and solve the Power Factor issues that are specific to your installation.
Contact us to arrange a site survey.
Can OPP also reduce my diesel generator fuel bills?
Yes we can. OPP is the only Power Factor Correction technology available anywhere that works with diesel generators. Our units produce minimum diesel fuel savings of 10%, some of our units have recorded savings of almost 30%.
The video below shows one of our units in operation.
You can see the bottom line measures Power Factor (PF). When the unit is on The PF is 99-100%,
After 10 seconds the unit is turned off and the PF drops to 78%. Which means, if this company didn’t have OPP equipment that generator would increase its fuel consumption by 22%.
Calculate 22% off your own monthly diesel fuel bill – that’s the type of savings you’ll make with OPP.
Can OPP eliminate Low Power Factor Surcharges?
Yes we can. OPP targets PF 0.995 or better (as opposed to industry standard of 0.95), removing Low Power Factor Surcharges from all future electricity bills.
Compliance with Standards: BSEN60831 (IEC831 & IEC70/70), BSEN60439, BSEN60204
OPP Product and Technical Specification
Supply: 400v – 415v 3 phase 50Hz (other voltages available on request)
Operating temp: -25 C to 65 C group D (others available on request)
Ventilation: High quality force ventilated via fan & louvre with over-temp alarm
Capacitors: Vishay High Specification 150,000h Reinforced Dielectric (440V)
Installation: 4 wire (3 phase & neutral)
IP Rating: IP 42 min (other IP rating available on request)
Losses: 0.2 watts / kVar
Discharge: less than 50V one minute after switch off
CT: Split core mutli-ratio 200/400/600/800/1000-5A
Cable termination: M10 on to Socomec 3 pole door interlocked Load Break Isolator, MCCB or Busbar